Apply for Your Student Visa


Once you receive your visa document, you must apply for an entry visa sticker to be placed in your passport so that you can enter the United States with student status. The steps to apply for a visa are:

  1. Determine the type of entry visa you need.
  2. Pay the SEVIS fee.
  3. Locate the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.
  4. Schedule your visa interview appointment.
  5. Prepare documents for your visa interview
  6. Practice for your visa interview

More detailed information is available on the ISSS Visa Information page.


If you have any questions about your visa document (DS-2019 or I-20), or if you need to correct or change any information on your documents, contact the office or agency that issued it:

I-20s are issued by the following University of Minnesota offices:

  • Undergraduate Students:
  • Graduate School Students:
  • Professional Degree Students: Your college admissions office


  • Issued by the University of Minnesota:
  • Issued by another agency: Agency’s contact person

Visa Denials

If your visa is denied, ask the consular officials to provide you with a written explanation of the denial, and contact ISSS for assistance by sending an email to and write “Visa Denial” in the subject line.


Return to the "Front Page" to view more content.