Undergraduate Application

Undergraduate students can enter the University as freshmen or transfer students. The application process is different for each, so please review the information below.


Students who have not previously enrolled in a university or college are considered a freshman student. Students who have completed AP, IB, or A-level coursework for which they may receive college credit are still considered a freshman provided they have not yet enrolled directly in a university.    

Transfer Students

You are considered a transfer student if you are a high school graduate who has registered or enrolled at a college, university, or any other school after graduating from high school. If you are a high school student and are enrolled in PSEO, College in the Schools, or have earned AP credit, you are still considered a freshman. (If you are currently in high school, you should apply as a Freshman.)

Download Our Brochures

Learn more about the University of Minnesota and the application process by downloading our brochures: