Lin Shu Ming, also named Lin Sze Ming, who was born in 1898 in Fuzhou, Fujian Province, came to the University of Minnesota in 1917 and received a bachelor of science in architecture in 1921. He was a very active student at the University and in 1919 wrote a drama called “In the Last Days of the Manchus,” which was later staged by Chinese students on campus. Lin’s brother, Lin Sze Chen, a student in mining, took one of the roles. In addition, Lin joined several organizations including the Architectural Society, Chinese Students’ Club, and the Cosmopolitan Club. After graduating from the University, Lin enrolled at Columbia University for further studies in architecture.
Lin returned to mainland China until the late 1940s and then moved to Taiwan where he established Lin Shu Ming Architectural Firm. Lin became one of the most influential architects of his time. His most prominent work is the Provincial Assembly Headquarter in Taizhong.
Lin also served as an adjunct professor at Chinese Culture University in Taipei and was elected president of Architectural Institute of Taiwan from 1965-1968.