Chang Kerwey Hugh, who was born in 1901 in Jilin, enrolled at the University of Minnesota in 1923 and received a bachelor of science in agriculture in 1927. Chang went on to the University of Chicago for graduate studies in animal husbandry. He worked at an animal by-products processing company in St. Paul for two years.
In 1931, Chang returned to China and served as the vice director of Agricultural Experiment Station in Harbin until 1934 when Japan occupied northeastern China. Chang joined the National Revolutionary Army and took on several important positions including senior advisory officer for the Eighth Route Army Headquarter. In 1946, Chang became the head of the department of construction in Jilin, and later the vice minister of the Ministry of Agriculture in Northeast government.
Chang made significant contributions in increasing agricultural output in the Shanxi-Hubei-Shandong-Henan Border region by importing optimal varieties of corn and wheat from the U.S.
In 1952, Chang established Shenyang Agricultural College, which is now Shenyang Agricultural University, and he served as its first president until 1974. In 1985, Shenyang Agricultural University was named by the Ministry of Agriculture as one of the eight key universities of agriculture in China. In 1987, Chang Kerwey Education Foundation was established at Shenyang Agricultural University to commemorate his life and contributions.