Mission of the China Office
This office focuses on three core areas in support of the University’s engagement with China:
Support for Prospective and Current Students
- Visiting key high schools, colleges, and educational organizations
- Meeting students, parents, and counselors
- Holding information sessions
- Encouraging talented students and scholars to study and engage in academic exchanges at the University.
- Establishing direct relationships with parents of University students from China to keep them better informed of their children’s academic and campus lives
- Facilitating educational collaboration between leading schools in China and the University
- Meeting with universities and institutions to showcase the University’s strengths and connect Chinese colleagues with U of M faculty and researchers
- Introduces potential Chinese partners to University departments and programs, and assists with establishing partnerships
- Helps maintain dozens of partnerships between the University and counterpart institutions in China
- Improve the alumni network for the thousands of University graduates who live in Greater China
- Provide services to alumni in China by working closely with University of Minnesota Alumni Association chapters in Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou
- Host events and activities in Mainland China to provide alumni with opportunities to increase their social and professional network
- Disseminate regular communications to alumni in China so that they can stay connected with the University community
The China Office provides assistance to U of M faculty and staff to support their business in and with China. Support provided by the China Office staff includes arranging logistics, supporting faculty with their unique needs (e.g., aiding with disability accommodations), exploring potential partnerships in China, and acting as a liaison.
If you are traveling to China on official University business, the China Office may be able to help make your trip more productive. Because the staff of the China Office are familiar with both the standards of the University and the services of local businesses, they are able to provide advice and referrals for reputable translators, restaurants, hotels, and other services you may require during your travel. The office also has individual workspace available with basic office amenities (e.g., internet connection, fax line, copier) and rooms to host meetings.
If you are interested in using the services offered by the China Office, please contact us to discuss your individual situation and how we can help you make the most of your time in China.